Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
Court service agreement
Courts covered by the agreement
The Chief Magistrates of the three jurisdictions approved the agreement. The courts covered by the agreement include:
- Courts of Summary Jurisdiction and the Youth Justice Court of the Northern Territory
- the Magistrates Court and Children’s Court of Western Australia
- the Magistrates Court and Youth Court of South Australia.
What the agreement includes
- operational and practical issues of conducting court in another jurisdiction
- outline of protocols for the provision of cross-border court services, such as interpreters, witness support, handling of appeals and youth court cases
- clarifies that there is no collection of fines, fees or costs under laws of another state, and that magistrates may use facilities in another state at no cost
- the role of the registrars, including:
- provision of information on court circuits in the region and forms for sittings of cross-border magistrates
- coordinate cross-border cases
- updates on changes to procedure, legislation and forms
- information on the cross-border court services committee that is made up of registrars and that meets quarterly to monitor and coordinate the operation of cross-border court services.