Court service agreement
Courts covered by the agreement
The Chief Magistrates of the three jurisdictions approved the agreement. The courts covered by the agreement include:
- Courts of Summary Jurisdiction and the Youth Justice Court of the Northern Territory
- the Magistrates Court and Children’s Court of Western Australia
- the Magistrates Court and Youth Court of South Australia.
What the agreement includes
- operational and practical issues of conducting court in another jurisdiction
- outline of protocols for the provision of cross-border court services, such as interpreters, witness support, handling of appeals and youth court cases
- clarifies that there is no collection of fines, fees or costs under laws of another state, and that magistrates may use facilities in another state at no cost
- the role of the registrars, including:
- provision of information on court circuits in the region and forms for sittings of cross-border magistrates
- coordinate cross-border cases
- updates on changes to procedure, legislation and forms
- information on the cross-border court services committee that is made up of registrars and that meets quarterly to monitor and coordinate the operation of cross-border court services.