Northern Territory Aboriginal Justice Agreement
Draft Agreement – for consultation
In partnership with Aboriginal Territorians, the Northern Territory Government is developing the Northern Territory Aboriginal Justice Agreement. The Agreement outlines how the NT Government and Aboriginal Territorians will work together to improve justice outcomes for Aboriginal people.
The NT Government has released this draft to seek input from Territorians before finalising the content of the Agreement.
The draft Agreement was developed following an extensive consultation process over two years.
In 2017 and 2018, the Aboriginal Justice Unit from the Department of the Attorney-General and Justice visited 80 Aboriginal communities and organisations, and undertook 120 consultations seeking views on how justice issues facing Aboriginal Territorians should be addressed. The Agreement is underpinned by research, evidence and the views and experiences of Aboriginal people.
The draft Agreement should be read in conjunction with Pathways to the Northern Territory Aboriginal Justice Agreement, which provides the context, background and rationale for the Agreement.
- Pathways to the Northern Territory Aboriginal Justice Agreement PDF, 10362.75 KB
- The development of the Northern Territory Aboriginal Justice Agreement PDF, 833.97 KB
- Context and overview PDF, 1585.15 KB
- Aim 1: Reduce reoffending and imprisonment rates of Aboriginal Territorians PDF, 3082.45 KB
- Aim 2: Engage and support Aboriginal leadership PDF, 2158.76 KB
- Aim 3: Improve justice responses and services to Aboriginal Territorians PDF, 2586.01 KB
- Governance of the Northern Territory Aboriginal Justice Agreement PDF, 1267.38 KB
Have your say on the draft Agreement
The NT Government is seeking comments and submissions on the draft Agreement until 31 March 2020.
Send your submission in writing or by video to the Aboriginal Justice Unit by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Aboriginal Justice Unit
Department of the Attorney-General and Justice
GPO Box 1722
DARWIN NT 0801
The Aboriginal Justice Unit can also be contacted by telephone on (08) 8935 7655.
Aboriginal Territorians and organisations interested in signing the final Agreement should contact the Aboriginal Justice Unit on email@example.com or (08) 8935 7655.
Last updated: 10 September 2019