This consultation is now closed.

Download the discussion papers:

The closing date for making comments was 14 June 2016.

Comments should be sent to:

Director, Policy Coordination

Department of the Attorney-General and Justice

GPO Box 1722,


Or by email to Policy.AGD@nt.gov.au

Go to past consultations to see consultation that is now closed.

To read outcomes of consultations, go to reports and reviews.

The report has been prepared following consultation on the most appropriate edition of the American Medical Association’s Guide to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, for assessing permanent impairment in the Northern Territory.

The purpose of the report is to outline the consultation process and feedback received and to make recommendations in relation to prescribing guidelines for the assessment of permanent impairment, in the Territory.

Download the Consultation Report (325.3 kb) 

Comments and feedback should be sent to

Director Legal Policy
Department of the Attorney-General and Justice
GPO Box 1722

Or by email to Policy.AGD@nt.gov.au

From 1 April 2011 the processes for committals in the NT were reformed on the commencement of theJustice Legislation Amendment (Committals Reform) Act 2010. The attached report prepared by the Department of the Attorney-General and Justice provides statistical information on the operation of the committals processes between 2011 and September 2014. The figures in the report suggest that the main aim of the reforms (namely that the processes operate more efficiently) has been achieved. Further committals reform may be occur as part of the ongoing reform of criminal law procedure over the next year. Comments on the report or the committals process can be sent to:

Download the report: [ WORD (1.4 mb) 1.41MB ] [ PDF (346.3 kb) 347KB ]

Director, Policy Coordination
Department of the Attorney-General and Justice
GPO Box 1722

Or by email to:


The non-consensual sharing of intimate images encompasses a range of behaviours relating to:

‘…images obtained (consensually or otherwise) in an intimate relationship; photographs or videos of sexual assault/s; images obtained from the use of hidden devices to record another person; stolen images from the Cloud or a person’s computer or other device; and pornographic or sexually explicit images that have been photo-shopped, showing the victim’s face.’[1]

Throughout this report the word ‘images’ is intended to encompass both video and still images.

The activity of sharing intimate images proliferated with the evolution of the Polaroid camera which facilitated taking private photographs without the need to engage the services of a photographic developer.  The evolution of digital photography and videography surpassed the Polaroid in the ability to quickly share images.  One of the earliest cited examples of the
non-consensual sharing of intimate images was the commercial and informal circulation of a pornographic home movie of Jayne Kennedy and Leon Isaac Kennedy in the late 1970s.  The video became available only after Jayne divorced Leon.  It was suggested that Leon released the tape to punish Jayne for leaving him.[2]  In the 1980s, the pornographic magazine ‘Hustler’ began publishing images of naked women submitted by readers, sometimes accompanied by identifying information about the women, including their names.  Some of these images were submitted without the permission of the women, and resulted in legal action (i.e. Wood v Hustler Magazine Inc. [1984] 10 Media L Rep 2113).[3]

Complete Report:

WORD (142.1 kb)   ||   PDF  (562.5 kb)

Report Sections:

Section 1 (213.9 kb)

Section 2 (203.3 kb)

Section 3 (289.7 kb)

Section 4 (329.7 kb)

Section 5 (317.8 kb)

Section 6 (368.7 kb)

Section 7 (302.6 kb)

Section 8 (290.0 kb)

Section 9 (328.0 kb)

Section10 (292.6 kb)

Section 11 (328.4 kb)

Section 12 (214.7 kb)

Last updated: 25 September 2018


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.