New laws for takeaway liquor sales

When you go to purchase takeaway liquor and your ID indicates that you are not a local resident or does not include an address, the Licensee is required to ask where you intend to consume the alcohol.

It is a breach of liquor licence conditions for a licensee to sell takeaway liquor to a customer who doesn’t have a lawful place to consume alcohol.

Lawful locations include your local home address as shown on your driver’s licence, household bills, rental agreements or a booking confirmation for local accommodation.

If you are unable to provide this information to a licensee your transaction will be refused.

Example: A customer produces a form of identification indicating that they reside in the Katherine region at a bottle shop in Greater Darwin. Unless you can satisfy the licensee that you have a lawful place in Greater Darwin region at which to consume the alcohol, or that you are returning to your residence in Katherine, the transaction will be refused.

Notice of intention to exercise emergency powers pursuant to Section 257 of the Liquor Act 2019 PDF (222.8 KB)

Last updated: 23 October 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.