Liquor Commission

Review of takeaway licence conditions in Alice Springs

On 12 June 2018, following an own initiative inquiry, the Northern Territory Liquor Commission (the Commission) varied conditions regulating takeaway sales for 19 liquor licences in the Barkly region.  In its decision, the Commission noted that it had received community representations to also hold a similar inquiry in Alice Springs.

Having considered those representations, the Commission decided to inquire into the licence conditions regulating the supply of takeaway liquor in Alice Springs and the surrounding district.

On 3 September 2018, the Commission commenced consultations by notifying potentially affected licensees and invited written submissions.  Submissions were also invited from members of the public, government agencies and community organisations relating to conditions which might apply to takeaway licences in Alice Springs and the surrounding district with a view to minimising alcohol related harm in the community.  Submissions closed on 28 September 2018. Submissions not marked as “Confidential” are posted below.

The Commission has concluded its review having considered the information, data, views and suggestions it received through the consultation process.

By formal notice required under section 33(3) of the Liquor Act 1978, the Commission has notified specified licensees of its proposal to add conditions to takeaway licences requiring the reporting of suspicious transactions, in order to assist police to detect, prosecute, deter and prevent illegal secondary supply of liquor.  Further, the Commission proposes to impose a Special Condition on the Kulgera Hotel and the Desert Oaks Motel  (Erlunda) similar to restrictions on the sale of takeaway liquor currently in force for the Curtin Springs Roadhouse.

By notice on 28 May 2019 the Commission has notified specified licensees of its decision to vary the conditions of licences, pursuant to section 33(4) of the Liquor Act 1978.

Decision Notice – Variation of Conditions of Licences PDF, 261.33 KB

Notice of Proposed Variation of the Conditions of Licences PDF, 269.25 KB

Submissions received

Alex Nelson
Review of takeaway licence conditions in Alice Springs submission Alex Nelson.pdf 143.2 KB

Alice Springs Major Business Group
Alice Springs Major Business Group Submission 280918.pdf 180.3 KB

Australian College for Emergency Medicine (ACEM)
Australian College for Emergency Medicine Submission. pdf.pdf 149.3 KB

Australian Hotels Association (NT Branch)
AHA NT submission to the Liquor Commission 280918.pdf 285.7 KB

Australian Liquor Stores Association and Retail Drinks Australia
Joint Retailers Submission.pdf 368.1 KB

Central Australia Liquor Accord
Liquor Accord response to NT Liquor Commission.pdf 182.8 KB

Central Australian Aboriginal Congress
Congress Submission re Alice Springs Takeaway Licences FINAL as submitted 28 September 2018.pdf 304.2 KB

Chamber of Commerce NT
Review of Take Away Liquor Licence Conditions in AS 2018 Chamber of Commerce.pdf 202.1 KB

Dr Bernard Hickey
Submission by Dr Bernard Hickey 280918.pdf 205.5 KB

Gillen Club
Gillen Club Response to NT Liquor Commission.pdf 41.4 KB

Jason Dyer
Suggestion to the NT Liquor Commission for Alice Springs Take Away Alcohol.pdf 7.9 KB

Jonathan Pilbrow
Submission Jonathan Pilbrow.pdf 47.2 KB

Lasseters Submission NT Liquor Commission Sep18.pdf 18.6 KB

Lhere Artepe Supermarkets
Lhere Artepe Supermarkets Submission 280818.pdf 301.3 KB

Peoples Alcohol Action Coalition
PAAC submission to Liquor Commission 26.9.18.pdf 721.6 KB

Robyn Lambley MLA
Submission Review of Alice SpringsTake away Liquor licences Robyn Lambley.pdf 321.2 KB

Tangentyere Council Aboriginal Corporation
Tangentyere Council Aboriginal Corporation Submission Letter 02102018.pdf 667.7 KB

Tourism Central Australia
Submission Tourism Central Australia.pdf 177.4 KB

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 28 May 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.