The Northern Territory Racing Commission is established under the Racing and Betting Act.
Under Section 3A the objects of the Act are:
- to promote probity and integrity in racing and betting in the Territory
- to maintain the probity and integrity of persons engaged in racing and betting in the Territory
- to promote fairness, integrity and efficiency in the operations of persons engaged in racing and betting in the Territory
- to reduce any adverse social impact of betting.
The Commission also conducts investigations into the operation of bookmakers and deals with disputes. If you are unhappy with a bookmaker go to the Northern Territory Government website to make a complaint.
Powers and functions
The Racing Commission's powers and functions are set out under sections 17 and 18 of the Racing and Betting Act.
The Commission conducts investigations into the operation of bookmakers and deals with disputes between punters and bookmakers.
The chairperson and four to five general members are appointed by the Attorney-General and Minister for Justice for up to three years.
Members are selected for their Northern Territory racing industry knowledge and experience. The members are:
- Alastair Shields (Chairperson)
- Allan McGill
- Amy Corcoran
- Cindy Bravos
- James Pratt
Northern Territory Racing Commission
Department of Business
Level 3, NAB Building
71 Smith Street
Darwin NT 0800
PO Box 1154
Darwin NT 0801
Phone: (08) 8999 1800